Thursday, March 6, 2014

Q&A with Travis Browne's Palomar College basketball coach John O'Neill









Before Travis Browne was a top ranked UFC heavyweight fighter, he was actually a stellar basketball player at Palomar College in San Diego County, California. Browne's former basketball coach at Palomar, John O'Neill, was gracious in answering a few questions for MMAquotable.com



What was Travis Browne like as a player and person on your basketball team?
Travis was an excellent basketball player when he competed at Palomar College.  He was very focused and intense.
Were you surprised he made the transition into mixed martial arts?
I was completely astounded to find out he was in MMA. The last I had heard from Travis was that he was training dogs.

How did you find out he was fighting for the UFC and what was your reaction?
I found out from Travis when he attended one of our games and told me that he was fighting in the UFC and I really didn't believe him until he showed me some video's of his fights. 

Did you sense he would become a top level athlete in some capacity when you coached him?
I really didn't think Travis would go on to become the athlete he is today. I am astounded that he has achieved the success that he has, not because Travis wasn't capable of it, but I am aware of the tremendous amount of mental and physical preparation that being a world class athlete requires. I am so happy for the success that Travis has received because he is truly an outstanding human being. 

Anything you'd like to say to Travis? 
The only thing I would like to tell Travis is...Keep Kicking Ass!

1 comment:




More interesting and intelligent quotations